The high wedge house has tradition
The Hochkeilhaus was built in 1857 by the Mitterberg copper mining company as the Josefi underground mining house and served as accommodation for the miners in the Mitterberg copper mine. It went to the London Copper Comp.Ltd in 1906 and in 1908 to Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik with the participation of Arthur Krupp.
In 1931 it was bought by Peter Radacher (*1896) and received its present name Hochkeilhaus.
In 1961 the management of the then alpine inn passed to Peter (*1930) and Sieglinde Radacher.
In 1978 Chrsitine Radacher and her husband Reinhart Mariacher took over the lease of the house in order to run it as a youth guesthouse and at the same time the addition of the middle wing with showers, shoe room and recreation rooms took place. Christine took over the business completely in 1984.
1984 Addition of the orange floor and thus expansion from 70 to 140 beds.
1993 Expansion of the kitchen and construction of the Uhusaal dining room.
2004 Addition of the apartment area and staff wing with extension of the storage rooms for the kitchen.
2011 General renovation of the second floor, today’s blue floor.
2015 Handover of the business from Christine to her son Peter Radacher (*1982)
2017 Conversion of heating from oil to pellets and installation of our photovoltaic system.
In between, there were several smaller renovations, renewals and extensions in and around the Hochkeilhaus in Mühlbach am Hochkönig. The Hostel Hochkeilhaus team will continue to be kept up to date.